(Clear here to find the recipe for Cream of Broccoli Soup)
Cream of Celery Soup
1 sweet onion, diced
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups chicken broth
8 stalks celery, diced (about 5 to 6 cups)
salt to taste
2/3 cup cream
- Sauté the onion dices and celery in the butter until the onion is tender and translucent but not browned.
- Add the flour and stir and cook until a soft paste has formed but not browned.
- While still cooking, pour in 1/2 cup of the broth while stirring with a whisk. Gradually add the rest of the broth, stirring to make the mixture smooth and not lumpy as if you were making gravy. Continue cooking until the mixture is bubbly and has thickened. The vegetables should be soft and tender.
- Pour two to three cups of the liquid into your blender. Puree the mixture until it is smooth. Continue in batches until the entire soup is puréed.
- Pour the soup through a strainer into a clean pan. Press any pieces through the sieve with the back of a spoon.
- Salt the soup to taste. Add the cream. If the soup needs further thinning, add water. Reheat and serve.