If you like tart cranberries and nuts, this is a wonderful coffeecake. It is moist and sweet with plenty of spices. Because the dried cranberries are chopped, there are bits of berries in every bite. It is showy enough to present to guests.
The deep crumb topping on top of the cake batter is intriguing and can be used as a template for other coffeecakes. Try other dried fruit instead of cranberries—currents or apricots or apple bits. Though we haven’t tried it, we think that frozen blueberries and 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract would make a marvelous crumb cake.
Cranberry Nut Crumb Cake Recipe
For the crumb topping
For the cake
1 1/4 cups dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups pastry or all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
6 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 cup vanilla or plain yogurt
3 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a nine-inch pan by greasing well. (We baked this bread in a nine-inch springform pan with a glass base.)
1. For the crumb topping, mix the flour, sugar, and spices together. Cut the butter into the flour and spices with a pastry knife until it is well mixed. Add the nuts and mix until combined. Set aside.
2. For the cake, chop the cranberries and set aside.
3. Mix the flour for the cake, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder together. Set aside.
4. Cream the butter and brown sugar for the cake together. Add the vanilla and the eggs one at a time beating after each.
5. Add the dry flour mixture and the yogurt and milk to the creamed mixture starting with about one-third of the dry mixture and alternating with the yogurt and milk and the dry and wet ingredients are mixed with the creamed ingredients. Do not over mix for that will make for a less tender cake. Fold in the chopped cranberries and nuts for the cake.
6. Spread the cake batter in the prepared springform pan. Spoon the crumb topping over the cake. Bake in the center of the oven for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake batter comes out clean.
7. Place the baked cake on a wire rack in the pan. After five minutes, with a thin-bladed spatula, loosen the cake from the ring and remove the ring. Serve warm.