Country Breakfast Pizza Recipe
There are lots of breakfast pizzas. We like this one. It’s a twist on the breakfast sandwiches that you get at the drive-through, a combination of eggs, ham, and cheddar on a biscuit crust—with a splash of salsa.
2 tablespoon butter
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup milk
more flour if needed
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 small onion, diced
1/4 green or red bell pepper, chopped
diced ham, crumbled bacon, or sausage bits
5 large eggs
pepper and salt
2/3 cup grated cheddar
2/3 cup grated mozzarella
1. Place the two tablespoons of butter in a nine-inch, oven-proof skillet. Place the skillet in the oven. Turn the oven to 425. Check on the butter after about five minutes. After the butter is melted, remove the skillet from the oven.
2. Place the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Stir to combine well. Add the milk all at once. Stir with a fork until it starts to come together and then remove the dough to a counter. Knead the dough until it is smooth, one to two minutes, dusting the counter with additional flour as necessary.
3. Stretch the dough into a disk. Place the disk in the buttered skillet. Press the dough across the bottom and up the sides of the skillet.
4. Place the skillet back in the oven and bake the crust for twelve minutes at 425 or until the crust begins to brown. Remove the skillet from the oven.
5. While the crust is baking, in another skillet, melt the one tablespoon of butter and sauté the onion, pepper, and ham in the butter until the vegetables are almost tender. Stir in the eggs and pepper and salt to taste. Cook until done, stirring frequently.
6. While the eggs are cooking, spread salsa in the bottom of the crust.
7. Spoon the cooked eggs into the crust on top of the salsa. Sprinkle the tops of the eggs with the cheeses. Place the pizza back in the oven at 425 degrees and bake for two more minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.