This is a chocolate cake donut, leavened with baking powder and fried. This recipe calls for a chocolate glaze but you can also glaze it with a vanilla glaze.
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, sugar, vanilla, melted butter, and buttermilk together.
- Mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients together, alternately, beginning with about one third of the flour, then half of the liquids, then one third of the flour, until all are mixed. Do not over mix.
- Chill the dough for two hours.
- Roll the dough one-half inch thick. Cut into donut shapes and deep fry at 365 degrees, not below 360.
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Melt the chocolate chips and butter in a small, heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the milk until the chocolate mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat and add the powdered sugar and vanilla. The glaze should be slightly runny, but not watery. Adjust the amount of powdered sugar, if necessary. Dip each donut into the glaze to coat one side. Invert onto a wire rack and allow to set up before serving. Best served fresh.