Gourmet Cherry Syrup
Food Cake Mix
Angel Food Cake Pan
1 1/2 cups egg whites (about 12 large eggs)
3/4 cup sifted cake flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (after step 1).
1. Separate the eggs before heating the oven (see tips), adding the whites to a liquid measuring cup until you have 1 1/2 cups. It will take about 12 large eggs.
2. Sift the flour before measuring. If you do not have a sifter, use a whisk to fluff the flour before measuring. Add about half the sugar to the flour and the cocoa and sift again.
3. Beat the egg whites in a large bowl, adding the salt and the cream of tartar to the whites as soon as they become foamy. Continue beating. As soft peaks begin to form, add the remaining sugar and extract. Beat until peaks form.
4. Using a spatula, gently fold the flour, cocoa, and sugar mixture into the egg white foam with “over and up” motions. Be sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl for the flour mixture will sink. Mix only until the flour is moistened. Working the batter longer tends to drive the air bubbles from the foam and reduces the cake’s volume.
5. Scrape the batter into a ten-inch tube pan and bake immediately. Bake for 45 minutes or until the cake is done.
6. When the cake is removed from the oven, immediately invert the tube pan on the counter. Many tube pans have legs for this purpose. If the tube pan does not have legs, invert the pan over a narrow-necked bottle inserted into the tube.