Chicken Soup with Homemade Egg Noodles Recipe
Yeild: 8 2-cup servings
Estimated Cost Per Serving: $1.21
To us, this is the ultimate in comfort food. We have fond memories of chicken soup simmering on the stovetop and Mom rolling out rich egg noodles on the counter. You’ll find this comfort food easy to prepare. Simmer the chicken soup with vegetables, mix the easy egg dough, roll the dough out and slice it into noodles with a sharp knife, and drop the noodles in the simmering soup.
What follows is a wonderful chicken soup recipe that you can use with potatoes, rice, homemade noodles, or pasta. If you choose to make chicken soup with homemade egg noodles, use the following recipe for homemade egg noodles. This recipe can also be made with boneless turkey meat.
For a recipe for chicken and dumplings, click here.
Chicken Soup Recipe
1 broiler chicken or large fryer
6 cups water
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed sage
1/2 teaspoons thyme
1 bay leaves
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup celery, sliced
1 1/2 cups carrot slices (optional)
3/4 cup rice, 2 cups chunked potatoes, or noodles
1/3 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups frozen peas (optional)
1. Rinse and drain the chicken. Place the chicken in a large pan, add water and salt, spices and herbs and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer. After 20 minutes, add the onion, celery, and optional carrots. Add potato chunks or rice if desired and if you are not using noodles. (Do not add noodles yet.) Continue simmering for another 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. When the chicken is tender, turn the heat off.
2. Remove the chicken to a large platter or bowl, remove the skin and discard, and let the chicken cool enough that you can debone the meat—about fifteen minutes. Remove the meat from the bones and cut into chunks.
3. Skim the fat from the chicken broth and vegetables and discard.
4. Place flour into a small bowl or large cup. Remove about one cup of broth from the pan. Add a little broth to the flour, stir the flour to moisten, and then add more broth a little at a time until the entire cup of broth is added, stirring after each addition to remove lumps. Slowly stir the flour mixture into the broth. Add the chicken chunks. Add the two cups milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the soup has thickened. If you are adding homemade noodles, flour from the noodles will further thicken the soup.
5. Add the noodles if you are using noodles. Add the peas if desired. Continue cooking until tender. Serve hot.
This recipe can also be made in a crock pot or slow cooker. For a low fat version, use chicken breast meat.
Easy Homemade Egg Noodles Recipe
“I really love these noodles.” – Katie
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1. In a medium bowl, mix the flour and salt together.
2. In a small bowl or large cup, whisk the eggs, oil, and water together. Form a depression in the flour mixture and add the egg mixture. Mix well.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured countertop. Knead for eight to ten minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
4. Divide the dough in half with a sharp knife. With a rolling pin, roll each dough piece until it is 1/16 to 1/8-inch thick. Cover the dough with a cloth and let rest for 20 minutes to relax the gluten.
5. Using a sharp knife, slice the dough on the counter into strips 3/8-inches wide. Drop the noodles one at time into the simmering soup. Cook until tender.
Baker’s Note: Start these noodles about 30 minutes before you would like to add them to your soup.