This is simply Cream of Potato Soup with cheese added.
5 cups of potatoes, peeled and sliced thin (about 3 large potatoes)
1 sweet onion, diced
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
5 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
salt to taste
1 cup cream
2 cups cubed cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- Sauté the onion dices in the butter until they are tender and translucent but not browned.
- Add the flour and stir and cook until a soft paste has formed but not browned.
- While still cooking, pour in 1/2 cup of the broth while stirring with a whisk. Gradually add the rest of the broth, stirring to make the mixture smooth and not lumpy as if you were making gravy. Continue cooking until the mixture is bubbly and has thickened. Add the potatoes and thyme and cook for ten to fifteen minutes or until tender. With a slotted spoon, remove about a third of the potatoes from the soup and set aside.
- Pour two to three cups of the remaining soup into your blender. Puree the mixture until it is smooth. Continue in batches until the entire soup is puréed.
- Pour the soup through a strainer into a clean pan. Press any piece through the sieve with the back of a spoon.
- Add the set aside potatoes, cheese, and sherry. Salt the soup to taste. Cook the soup, stirring constantly, until the cheese melts. Add the cream. If the soup needs further thinning, add water. Serve hot.