Do you have a favorite omelet recipe? You can build a great frittata with the same ingredients that you would use in an omelet. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
1. Sauté the vegetables until soft. As an alternative, you can steam the vegetables in the microwave until they are tender.
2. Turn the broiler on.
3. Beat the eggs, pepper and salt together. Put a tablespoon of oil in a heavy, oven-proof skillet and place the skillet on medium heat. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and scatter your vegetables and/or cooked meats on top. Turn the heat to low and cook until the frittata is golden brown on the bottom and the egg is beginning to set, approximately 7 minutes.
4. If necessary, oven-proof the skillet handle by wrapping it in aluminum foil. Place frittata under the broiler and cook until it is almost firm.
5. Add any cheese to the top and again put the frittata under the broiler until it is completely set and the cheese is melted. Slide your frittata onto a plate and serve.
Instead of using the broiler, you can use the following recipe to build a frittata in the oven, a baked frittata.
Easy Oven-Baked Frittata
Frittatas are easy; this one is even easier. Remember this recipe when you need a great dinner dish in a hurry. Serve it with your favorite bread and a garden salad.
1 cup of diced vegetables (onions, green peppers, etc.)
dash of pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar, mozzarella or other cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
1. Sauté the vegetables until soft. Alternately, you can steam the vegetables in the microwave until they are tender.
2. Beat the eggs, pepper, salt, and parmesan cheese together. Put a tablespoon of oil in a heavy, oven-proof skillet. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and scatter the vegetables on top.
3. Bake for 15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Immediately sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top and let it melt.
4. Slide your frittata onto a plate and serve.