This is a great omelet if you like asparagus. The cheese sauce is light.
4 to 6 spears asparagus, steamed
3 eggs, lightly stirred
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 tablespoon butter
- Choose the right size pan. A three-egg omelet requires an eight-inch pan. The pan should be nonstick.
- Steam the asparagus until it is slightly tender. Do not over cook. Set aside.
- Whisk the eggs together in a bowl. Add the onion powder
- Put a pat of butter in your nonstick pan. Place it on medium-high heat. On our stovetop, a high BTU gas burner, that’s 6 out of ten. Heat the butter to just short of brown and swirl it around the pan.
- Pour the eggs into the hot pan. Salt and pepper the eggs.
- Scramble the eggs with a soft silicone spatula scraping the bottom and sides of the pan. The eggs will cook quickly and curds will form.
- When the eggs approach the consistency of cottage cheese with mostly solids but some liquid egg, stop stirring. Use the spatula as a paddle to pat the eggs down into an even layer. Let the eggs continue cooking until the liquids are set and the top of the omelet is cooked.
- Place the asparagus spears just off-center in the omelet. They should be long enough to sit slightly beyond the edge of the omelet.
- The omelet should slip around in the pan without a hint of sticking. Move the pan to a plate, tip the pan on angle over the plate, and gently shake the omelet onto the plate filling side first.
- When the omelet is about half onto the plate, twist the pan with your wrist folding the remaining omelet over that on the plate. The omelet should be folded over with the bottom edge protruding about one-half inch.
- Spoon the cheese sauce over the omelet. Serve hot. (For cheese sauce, see recipe below.)
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups milk
1. Melt the butter in the microwave in a bowl. Add the flour to the butter and stir to make a thick paste. Gradually add the milk, stirring with a whisk after each addition. Add the cheese.
2, Cook in the microwave on high heat for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and thick, stopping every 30 to 40 seconds to stir the mixture, about four to five minutes.