How to Make Lemon Cream Rolls
If you can make cinnamon rolls, you can make these sweet rolls.
You can use a bread recipe but to make it even easier—easy enough for non-bread makers—use a mix. You can make it with your bread machine set on the dough cycle or with your stand-type mixer.
If you use your stand-type mixer, use the dough hook and let it beat for about four minutes on medium speed. The gluten will be developed then. Roll the dough out on the counter, cover the sheet of dough with a layer of filling and roll it up pinwheel fashion. Cut slices, put them in a greased pan, and let them rise. When fully risen, bake them, let them cool, and frost them.
1 bread mix, Buttermilk White, Sour Cream Potato Rolls, or equal
2 cups (about one pound) lemon pastry filling
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
1/4 cup Sweet Sensations Lemon Cream Bark Topping (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x13-inch baking pan.
- Mix the bread dough according to package directions. Set the dough aside to rise.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rough rectangle on a floured counter with the dough about 1/4-inch thick.
- Spread the pastry filling on dough. Roll the dough into a log with the filling trapped inside. Pinch the seam with your fingers to keep the filling from falling out.
- Cut slices horizontally about 1 1/4-inches thick. Place the slices in the prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until done. The center of the rolls will register 190 degrees with an insta-read thermometer. Times will vary with different pans.
- You may let the rolls cool in the pan. We prefer to invert the pan onto an cutting board to remove the rolls (you may need to loosen the rolls first) and then invert the rolls and the cutting board onto a wire rack so that they finish cooling right-side-up. (If you are going to remove the rolls, do so immediately before the sugar starts to set up. If you have trouble getting the rolls out, lift the cutting board six inches with the pan inverted on the cutting board and then drop the cutting board with the pan to jar the rolls loose.)
- Let the rolls cool for five minutes and then frost them. While the frosting is still soft, sprinkle with the Lemon Cream Bark Topping.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
4 ounces of cream cheese, softened.
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
2 tablespoons milk
3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- Beat the butter and cream cheese together with the whip attachment of your stand-type mixer.
- Add the flavor and milk. Beat the mixture, adding powdered sugar until the consistency reaches a soft frosting just right for spreading.