Cinnamon Apple Cookies
These are soft, moist, cake-like cookies. The cinnamon chips provide a pronounced burst of cinnamon in each bite.
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup applesauce
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup walnuts, 1/4-inch chopped
1 cup cinnamon chips
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream the brown sugar and shortening together. Add the egg and beat in. Add the applesauce and combine until well blended.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in another bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed applesauce mixture. Mix until just combined. Fold in the walnuts and cinnamon chips.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. If the batter stands more than 3/4-inch high, press it down with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes on dark pans or until the edges start to brown. (Light colored pans will take longer to bake.) Remove the cookies to cool on wire racks. .