How to Build your Own Hot Pockets
We’ve long experimented with fillings in bread. You can make scrumptious hot sandwiches by filling yeast dough with cheeses and meats to make stuffed hot rolls. (Read how to make hot roll hot pockets.) Now you can make quick hot pockets with buttermilk biscuit dough.
Quick Hot Pockets
This is a sandwich type. Fill your pockets with whatever you want, any cheese and meat combination. Add mustard, jalapenos, or onions if you like. Because these are made with biscuit dough instead of bread dough, they are quick to make.
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 pound (one stick) cold butter
2/3 cup buttermilk
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Oil a baking sheet.
1. Measure the flour by scooping some into a bowl and then spooning the flour into the measuring cup. (If you measure packed flour, you will have too much.)
2. Add the baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt and stir these ingredients into the flour. Slice the cold butter into the flour mixture. Use a pastry knife or two kitchen knives to cut the butter into the flour mixture. Work the butter into the flour mixture until you have a coarse, grainy mixture.
3. Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour the buttermilk into the flour mixture. Stir until just moistened and knead a few times to make a smooth dough.
4. Roll the dough to a thickness of 3/8-inch. Use a large drinking glass or small bowl to cut circles four inches in diameter. Spread mayonnaise or mustard on one and pile meats, cheeses, or other fillings in the center. Lay another circle over the top. Holding the two circles in your hand, pinch the edges tightly together clamshell fashion. Through the open side, stuff additional fillings into the pocket and then continue pinching the edges together. Place the pocket on the prepared sheet and press the pocket into a flat disc (about 3/4-inch thick) with the heel of your hand.
5. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the pockets begin to brown. Remove the pockets from the baking sheet and place them on a wire rack. Serve hot.